Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Do You Live in the City or in the Jungle?


Our children are a source of joy to us. Sometimes they bring a smile to our face at the unexpected response that slips from their lips. One such unexpected response occurred when our twins were being taught Kindergarten by our co-worker.

Realizing that since the twins lived in a remote jungle village, that they had little concept of what a city was, Jane attempted to explain. Feeling confident they were understanding, she went on to ask, "So where do you live? In the city or in the jungle?"

Without missing a beat, the twins responded in unison, "In the city!"

Jane looked at them a bit bewildered. The village around them was definitely not a city. There were no street lights. There were no streets! There were no hospitals or stores. On the contrary, there was a grass airstrip that allowed access to the village of palm-roofed huts in the middle of the jungle.

"But don't you live in the jungle?" she questioned them.


"No," the twins insisted. "The jungle is out there!"

The jungle was out there where their mother had warned them they were never to wander. The jungle was out there where cougars, jaguars, snakes and other dangerous creatures lived. The jungle was beyond the border of the village, and therefore, their young minds reasoned, the village must be a city!

What unexpected responses from your kids do you have to share with me?!

4 comments:

  1. And there's nothing wrong with being classic MK!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO there isn't. Are you an MK as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... . Technically yes, though I'd never really admit to a real MK! Okay, an explanation. I went through New Tribes Mission's training with my parents while I was in high school. Did "deputation" with them. Then I went to Bible School and my second semester they headed to Colombia. My parents are missionaries so I'm an MK. But I didn't grow up overseas!

    ReplyDelete