Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alone at Last

The day had come. The California team was flying out. I was finally going to have my family to myself. After weeks of little to no private time with my family, we were going to be alone. That's a good thing, right? I wasn't so sure.

As the small Cessna plane became a speck in the distant sky, a lump formed in my throat. I felt like my last link to the civilized world was being cut. The reality set in that as a family we were alone in a remote tribal village. We were alone with people we had yet to get to know and understand. We were alone and very limited in our ability to communicate.

It was at once terrifying, yet liberating. There was the acceptance of the fact that I couldn't do this. And with that, the knowledge that God could.

2 comments:

  1. The plane flying off can be a wrenching moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then comes the day when you put your kid on it to send him to school!

    ReplyDelete