Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Not My Will But Thine

While living in one area of Venezuela we faced the threat of guerrillas. It was unsettling to think that Colombian guerrillas/terrorists known to have killed other missionaries in the organization we then worked with could possibly come to where we were, could possibly kill outright or kidnap and hold for ransom some of our friendsor ourselves.

Under those circumstances you reach the point where yesterday's posting, "Being Safe Isn't all It Is Cracked up to Be," has to become a reality in your life. You know beyond a shadow of doubt that you are living in the center of God's will. You also know you can't console your coworker with false words of hope. You can't say that it won't happen because God just wouldn't allow it. You can't say that since we're living in the center of God's will that we're invincible!

It's a matter of acceptance. It's a matter of saying, "Not my will but Thine be done!"

Jesus got it. Jesus could have stayed in heaven and been invincible. Instead He was obedient to His Father's will. He left heaven. He was born in a dirty manger. He lived what we'd now call an impoverished life without all the modern conveniences we take for granted. He spent three years teaching people and His disciples.

In the end one of His disciples sold Him out
and the world at large rejected Him. They mocked Him. They beat Him. They hung Him on a cross to suffer unimaginable pain. And HE gave up HIS life to make a way possible for mankind to be reconciled with His Heavenly Father, to make His Heavenly Father their Heavenly Father.

Jesus was man, but He was God. He knew all this was going to happen. He knew, but He still came. He knew, but He still submitted to the will of His Heavenly Father. He agonized in prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane before being arrested. His ending prayer? "Not My will but Thine be done!"

As we face trials that we'd prefer not to face, I pray we will be imitators of Christ, that we will pray, "Not my will but thine be done!"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this down in writing. I am often asked how I could have placed my children in danger. Even a 'possible' danger. Of course, life itself , anywhere can be dangerous. I actually worried more about my kids in town than I did in the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps me to put things in writing. I've often times written to make sense of senseless situations, to sift through conflicting emotions, to come to decisions when the way seems muddy. Amazingly it brings clarity!

    I'm a realist. I'm not very good at sugarcoating reality. I don't want to be told, "Don't worry. God will protect you. You won't be kidnapped."--when there's no biblical basis to support it!

    Encourage me that God has promised to give the grace to go through whatever trial He puts before me. Encourage me that even when the night seems the darkest that GOD is with me!

    God I know. God I trust. Then it's back to "Not my will but Thine be done!"

    ReplyDelete