Monday, March 2, 2009

Being Safe Isn't all It's Cracked up to Be

I've heard it said more times than not that the safest place to be is in the center of God's will. It sounds good, but what do they mean by it? Is it even scriptural? Does it mean that if I'm in the center of God's will that I am safe from harm? Safe from danger? Can I claim invincibility if I'm in the center of God's will?

If we only read the first part of Hebrews 11 we'd be ready to don that cloak of invincibility! There we read of men who through faith stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, and escaped the edge of the sword. We read of women who had their loved ones raised from the dead!

Doesn't that sound great? Doesn't that sound like invincibility?

But then there's part two. Suddenly we're reading of men and women who remained faithful to God despite facing affliction, torment, torture, imprisonment and death.

Doesn't sound so great, does it? Doesn't sound much like a cloak of invincibility, does it?

Being safe isn't all it's cracked up to be. Being in the center of God's will is! I don't want to be invincible, but I want to serve a God who is!

No comments:

Post a Comment